Director of Fundraising and Operations
Location: FLEX office, Vauxhall, London
Salary: £42,000 per annum subject to deductions for tax and national insurance contributions as required by law
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Deadline for applications: 14 January 2019
Interviews: W/C 21 January 2019
Reporting to: FLEX Chief Executive
Management: Up to four FLEX staff members
Benefits: 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays. A wide-range of opportunities for skills development. Sociable office environment with many social justice charities sharing the building which includes cycle storage, showers and ongoing social activities.
Focus on Labour Exploitation (FLEX) works to end human trafficking for labour exploitation in the UK and worldwide. FLEX’s unique approach to the problem of human trafficking is focussed on the prevention of labour rights abuses, the protection of the human rights of trafficked persons and the promotion of best practice responses to trafficking for labour exploitation. FLEX is a small organisation that packs a big punch in terms of policy change and influencing, we want you to help support us as we grow.
Purpose of role
Five years since the organisation's founding, this role has been created in response to recent changes in the Senior Management structure. Specifically, it has been designed to bolster FLEX's fundraising and staff management while allowing the Chief Executive to concentrate on strategy and network development. Reporting to and in close partnership with the Chief Executive, the Director of Fundraising and Operations will lead FLEX’s fundraising and learning, finance and leadership functions, and as part of our Senior Management Team, have an overview of our programmes and communications. Alongside a solid understanding of successful fundraising, this role will require strong teambuilding, line management and mentoring skills as the post-holder will oversee a team of three-four staff, working to ensure high-quality work is delivered to time. At a time where FLEX is looking to its next five year Strategic Plan, this role will join FLEX’s Senior Management Team in driving forward our future growth. Above all this role requires someone with a real passion and commitment to FLEX’s work to end human trafficking for labour exploitation and an excitement for working in a small team that wants to make change happen in this area.
Fundraising and learning
- Develop and implement a clear and defined fundraising strategy, meeting and exceeding income targets and building financial reserves of the organisation.
- Maintain oversight over all fundraising activities including a focus on institutional giving and developing FLEX’s strategies for reaching new donors.
- Work with the Board to keep them updated regarding work and engage with the Donor Policy Committee on the Board;
- Ensure that fundraising reflects the donor policy and ethical approach of FLEX;
- Ensure stewardship of fundraising prospects;
- Develop a strong monitoring, evaluation and learning system for FLEX and processes to support its delivery;
- Ensure all donors are regularly updated on key aspects of FLEX work, including through the development of an annual report;
- Prepare and deliver reports to donors as required in line with grant terms.
- Oversee project budgets and reports for donors on the delivery against projected budgets;
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Finance Officer to ensure aligned reporting and income projections.
- Form part of the organisation’s Senior Management Team and contribute to overall organisational growth;
- Lead and motivate the staff team to deliver results and to be proactive in promoting the building of skills confidence and capability within the team in order to meet high standards of performance;
- Assist with the development of staff work plans and key performance indicators in line with the delivery of the long-term strategy and annual plan;
- Supervise staff and conduct six monthly performance appraisals;
- Liaise closely with the Senior Policy and Communications Advisor to ensure coherent and consistent messages are delivered across all areas of external engagement;
- Ensure strong relationships between FLEX and direct support providers and worker representative organisations;
- Any other duties equal to the skills and responsibilities required for this role as directed by the Chief Executive.
- Significant experience in fundraising;
- Significant experience of staff management, appraisals and coaching and mentoring for results;
- Demonstrable fundraising track record including cultivating foundation and government relationships to achieve funding success;
- Track record of working with solid monitoring and evaluation systems to embed learning into organisational development
- Track record of building long-term productive relationships with a diverse variety of funders in a range of global contexts;
- Compelling writer and communicator;
- Demonstrated strong business planning, budget and financial management skills;
- Strong believe in FLEX’s core mission and values and desire to further the organisational objectives.
- Good management skills, including the ability to effectively manage and monitor staff and resources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with a wide range of people from varied operating contexts.
- Strong problem solving skills, direct and proactive in resolving challenges or performance problems;
- Highly organised, productive and proactive with excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Knowledge of government fundraising;
- Direct experience of working in the anti-trafficking sector.
To apply please share a CV and cover letter with FLEX at [email protected]. Please ensure to include in your application details of your achievements relevant to the job description and person specification above.
Your ability and skills will be assessed at an in-depth interview and task if you are invited to the next stage of the recruitment process. An initial triage of applications is made against the above criteria and failure to address how you meet these explicitly will affect your application.
If you are disabled or become disabled, we encourage you to tell us about your condition so that we can consider what reasonable adjustments or support may be appropriate at the interview and task stage.
There are currently no volunteering opportunities at FLEX.