FLEX’s Board of Trustees is currently made up of nine trustees, who work together to ensure that FLEX maintains a clear strategic direction that is based on our vision and mission. FLEX’s long standing Treasurer will be stepping down from the Board in May and we are recruiting her replacement.
The purpose of FLEX’s Treasurer
- govern FLEX in line with its charitable objectives and maintain oversight of the
- organisation's financial affairs on behalf of the Board of Trustees; and
- provide guidance to the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive on financial stewardship of the organisation in line with the strategic aims.
The Treasurer is accountable to the Board of Trustees, and may serve for a maximum of two terms each of three years.
FLEX’s trustees meet quarterly and are asked to commit an additional five to eight hours in between meetings to follow-up on actions, provide advice, and input on areas relevant to their expertise.
Specific responsibilities include
To oversee FLEX’s compliance with statutory requirements relating to the accounts of a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity before these are presented to the Board of Trustees.
To oversee the presentation and content of FLEX’s organisational budgets, management accounts and long-term forecasts to ensure these are appropriate to a company and a charity.
To support the Board in ensuring sound financial management of the charity’s resources, including ensuring expenditure is in line with the charity’s objectives.
To oversee the development and review of financial, reserves and risk management policies and protocols.
To liaise with the Chief Executive and FLEX accounting staff or consultants as necessary on financial matters, and to meet with the external auditor at least once annually.
Where required by FLEX financial protocols, to act as a counter-signatory on charity cheques (including any electronic transactions) and any application for funds.
To draw any major financial concerns to the attention of the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive.
We are looking for someone with a background in accountancy and experience of financial management in a large organisation at senior level. The successful candidate will have experience overseeing risk management, strong understanding of the management and legal requirements of a UK registered charity, and be prepared to make difficult and demanding recommendations to the Board.
You will also have:
- Ability to mentor and support the Chief Executive
- Understanding of and commitment to FLEX’s values and objectives
- Understanding of the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of trusteeship
- No current commitments that would create a conflict of interest with FLEX’s work
- Good, independent judgement
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Willingness to commit necessary time and effort
- Ability to advise on FLEX’s donor fundraising
To apply, please complete the application pack available here and share it with FLEX at [email protected]. More information on the role is available here. Should you have any questions about the role please don't hesitate to get in touch on 020 3752 5515.
Deadline: 06 May 2019
There are currently no volunteering opportunities at FLEX.